Located on the former Shenton Park Rehabilitation Hospital, Montario Quarter is set to become a premium residential, commercial and retail precinct providing amenities for the whole community to enjoy.
Work is underway, transforming the site into a modern development which integrates the natural environment with high quality built-form and community spaces.
From its humble beginnings in 1893 through to its closure in 2014, the Shenton Park Rehabilitation Hospital touched the lives of thousands of patients, nurses, doctors and visitors.
The hospital originated with a few tents in the bush as a way to isolate patients affected by smallpox. Due to its remote location at the time, the hospital was ideal for this purpose and soon developed into a dedicated facility for patients requiring isolation.
The hospital expanded in the 1930s with the addition of several new buildings including Victoria House, which is still standing today.
The late 1940s saw the first orthopaedic patients treated at the hospital, followed shortly by the formation of a dedicated Paraplegic Unit founded by Sir George Montario Bedbrook. This unit became well-known for the treatment and rehabilitation of patients with paraplegia, with a number of revolutionary techniques developed here under Sir George's leadership.
In 1962, Royal Perth Hospital and the Shenton Park Paraplegic Unit sponsored the first ever Commonwealth Paraplegic Games in Perth.
Over the following years, the Shenton Park Hospital further established itself as leader in rehabilitation services, introducing specialist neurology, speech pathology and occupational therapy departments. These efforts became internationally recognised when the hospital was awarded the Belle Greive Memorial Award for the most significant contribution to rehabilitation.
The hospital closed its doors in October 2014 and relocated its services to the Fiona Stanley Hospital in Murdoch. Even though the hospital has closed, the memories, medical achievements and dedication of the staff lives on in its legacy.
Read more about the history of this site in The Story of Shenton Park Hospital.
'Montario Quarter' has been named after a prominent figure in the history of Shenton Park Hospital and a pioneer in the treatment and rehabilitation of patients with paraplegia.
Sir George Montario Bedbrook (1921-1991) was a leading orthopaedic surgeon who was instrumental in the establishment of the Shenton Park Hospital's paraplegic unit in 1954, which went on to become internationally renowned for the quality of treatment provided to its patients.
Sir George was also a strong advocate for the inclusion of people with paraplegia in sports, and led the organisation of the world's first Commonwealth Paraplegic Games in Perth.
The name 'Montario Quarter' has been selected in recognition of Sir George's lifetime of service and the significant contribution he made to the treatment of patients with paraplegia.